Pages

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

My Organizational Task for Wednesday - I am So Type A

So those of you following my May goals know that Wednesday is the day I get to display my 'type A'edness" through organization  (Note I am type A about most things, but my ability to create and utilize my own language is quite unique and creative.  I may use this in my own novel some day.)  I'm very excited about today's type A activity. 

In order to successfully undergo organizational projects that I felt would contribute to my level of happiness this month, I had to identify and choose those that were most bothersome to me.  I've already tackled two of those projects, our drawers (solved by simply throwing some clothing out - that needed to be done anyway - and by underbed storage which is mostly housing my sweatshirts and sweatpants for the summer months) and Bryton and Ansley's closet.  I tackled their closet last week, and it is good to go!  The two projects I for sure have left are the kitchen cabinets (which I half way did the other day in order to make room for my *cough cough* twelve boxes of pasta) and the collecting and recording of magazine articles and family traditions. 

Yes, you heard me.  When thinking about the things in life that most bother me one of the things that stuck out in my head was the throwing away of magazines.  Sad, isn't it?  I love magazines... especially ones like Parents, Parenting, Family Fun, etc.  I love the ideas and articles that so much pertain to my life, and I often think to myself while reading them, "That would be so much fun to try with Bryton," or "If Ansley ever struggles with that then this would be a great idea to try to help it."  Sometimes I even rip the articles out and lay them on the dining room table (you know, our 'collect all' spot, which, by the way, I've been doing pretty good at keeping from collecting any!) in hopes that I can keep them and remember that I have them for when the time comes that I can use them... and then I get tired of looking at them on the table and I throw them away, discouraged.

Combine that with the desire to create and establish our own family traditions for holidays, etc, and I was a very discouraged individual with no way to feel I can document those either.

So I had to think of a way to tackle these problems.  The solution that I came up with solves both of them! 

I'm going to create a binder, categorizing the binder by seasons (winter, spring, summer, and fall) and I'm going to insert magazine articles into the binder by which season they occur (and have a miscellaneous area in the back for those that don't fit anywhere).  I'm going to lead in to each season with a spreadsheet (ahem - I'm so type A) with all of our traditions for each holiday, etc written out with a space to add more! 

Together - the two will remind me of the things we did in years previous so we continue on with them the next year, and they'll give me ideas of projects to do with the kids as the seasons come and go.  I may even use this binder to insert seasonal recipes, etc. 

Can you tell I'm considerably stoked about such a small task :)  The idea of such an organized system makes my heart pitter patter and flutter wildly in my chest.  If the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, the way to mine is through organization and control... ahhh :)  Bliss! 

So I'm off to work on this wonderful project, and I'll take pictures and update you as to how it turns out!  Give me a month or so, because I'm going to have to start collecting my magazine articles again ;)

I'm out for fun!

-A

1 comment:

  1. I know several ladies who keep a binder of magazine articles. I think it's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete