Monday, August 1, 2011

This Could Be the Grossest Blog I Ever Write

And I apologize in advance... but this girl needs to vent. 

You want to know how my weekend went?  Here goes.

Bryton went to VBS this week.  Now, I'm not a germ-a-phobe completely (really, I'm not), but I do try to protect my kids through teaching good hygiene etc, and this year, I debated even sending B because he's gotten sick every year I've sent him prior.  Though, the social aspect outweighs the looming sickness, this year I was hesitant because I need he and Ansley well for when Aaron and I leave them for almost a week to go on vacation.  (Yeah - for my own peace of mind.)

Ugh.  Well, again, the social aspect and Jesus aspect of it all outweighed the possibility of him getting sick, and Aaron and I decided it was worth the risk, and everything was peachy until Thursday.

Thursday, I had been wrestling around with Bryton, holding him upside down by his ankles, swinging him through my legs, etc etc etc.  About 5 minutes later Aaron and I were talking in the kitchen, where B was playing, and just out of nowhere - no warning, Bryton throws up all over our kitchen floor. 

My heart immediately drops, and I race for the thermometer as Aaron is cleaning up chunky hot dog all over the floor.  (Hotdog in which Bryton is exclaiming:  "There Bryton's hotdog.  It smell good." Yeah, seriously.  Didn't phase him it all, obviously.)  I take his temperature.  Nothing.  Totally normal.  I continue taking his temp as the night goes on.  Nothing.  And on top of that, he's just as energetic, still eating like normal, still drinking like normal, etc.  So - we conclude that I probably upset his stomach swinging him and holding him upside down and we move on with life... with relief I may add.

Friday comes around and we send him to VBS.  He's never had a fever, and he's acting normal.  Totally normal.  Friday night I had a slumber party with the girl's in our youth group, and I had to run to the store to get a few things.  I come home and Aaron tells me that our kid, who is still acting normal, has experienced the other symptom of a stomach bug but just once, and he seemed fine ever since. 

Now - I will say, a handful of times on Friday Bryton had exclaimed to us that his tummy hurt, but it never stopped him from anything.  So needless to say - I was just a little surprised (and a lot discouraged) by this news. 

BUT - the night continues normally, Bryton plays like normal, eats like normal, and goes to bed like normal.

And Saturday is a completely normal day - all around.

Thankful that whatever was wrong is obviously better (we'd gone 24 hours between episode 1 and 2, and now we'd gone more than 24 hours since the last episode... and still no fever at all), we put kids to bed and get ready for church Sunday morning.

And I should have known.  Bryton has been getting up between 6 and 6:45 to go pee in the morning, and I had the opportunity to get ready for church and have to wake him up to get him ready at about 7:40.  I walked into his room to get Ansley's clothes, and I noticed the room smelled funny.

*You know where this is going.*

At some point through the night, B had thrown up all over his bed, and he'd slept in it.  

This is a cruel joke, right?

Wrong.  So here I am - in church clothes, trying to get my kid out of bed, into the bathtub, and all of his bedclothes outside to hose them off. 

If only I knew what was in store for me that day.

Again - B acted completely normal.  He was totally stoked to be getting a bath that early in the morning, played as usual, threw fits as usual, ate as usual.  Etc. 

About 11 o'clock I'm thinking to myself, "Well - maybe that was the end of it," (Still no fever, btw) when I'm sitting by Ansley on her playmat and she proceeds to throw up the entire bottle I'd fed her an hour earlier. 

Now, I've always wondered if I'd know the difference between throw up and spit up in an infant.  B was a major spitter and there were many time we wondered if he was throwing up or spitting up.  I now know that he was never throwing up.  Watching an infant throw up is a scary thing for everyone involved.

And I seriously wanted to cry.  We leave in 2 days and now my baby is sick, and I know how fast they dehydrate. 

And - she threw up her entire bottle later in her sleep during her nap.

And she threw up 3 more times after I got her up.

Before my (lovely) day was over, I'd made a trip to Wal-Mart for pedialyte, something I'd never bought before. 

As far as I know - Ans was able to keep down 6 ounces of that last night before bed.  She got no more formula. 

So now it's a waiting game.  Today is the big day to leave... tomorrow we leave them for several days with grandparents. 

Please pray for my babies - it's one thing to leave a toddler throwing up - they are a little easier to manage and don't dehydrate near as fast.  It's not that I love him any less, I know that his body is better developed to handle it.  Pray that this will be a 24 hour thing for Ansley and she'll be able to keep her formula down today, as I'm getting ready to try it again...

This momma needs peace of mind.  And she needs the relief, and the nourishment. 

And I'm clinging to Lamentations 3:22-24
"Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed,
   for his compassions never fail.
 They are new every morning;
   great is your faithfulness.
 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
   therefore I will wait for him.”

Because, I'll be honest - yesterday, I'd had it.  I wanted to run away.  I wanted to cry, and at one point I did.  Someone had a quote on their facebook yesterday that said something to the effect of, "Sometimes everyday routine can seem more difficult and monumental than an extraordinary feat," and I couldn't agree more.  I would have rather ran a marathon yesterday (and I do not run) than deal with what I did.

Ugh - so I'm praying for a legit new day.  And for health.  And protection.  And peace. 

Hope ya'lls weekends were better than mine. 

Now I'm off to fill my daughter with some pedialyte to see if she can hold it down to try some formula.

Until next time -



No comments:

Post a Comment