Pages

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Oh to Learn a New Skill

In my inner-most being I want to be crafty.  Really, I do. 

I can make some cute cupcakes.  And with quite a tutorial I can throw together a cute easy crafty project, but I lack in the 'creativity' and 'teach myself to do it' departments to say the least. 

And of course, I can never choose an easy project to try to tackle, I pick something difficult and something that I need to be taught to do - not something I can teach myself to do.  And of course, it requires tools I don't have on hand either - which would require an investment when I may find out that I totally stink at it anyway or may not like it either.

This time is no different.  Now - I have this urge to create something for my kids each year for Christmas, and I came across a quilt on a blog that I read (yes, I said quilt - did I mention I'm not crafty?) called an "I spy" quilt.  I love love the idea of it! 

It's basically a quilt with a lot of 4 inch squares of easily identifiable objects.  You put them all together, separated by borders and then add a playful border around the whole quilt and lay it out for babies and toddlers to crawl all over and pick out objects.  It would be awesome for Christmas for Ansley and for Bryton (although I really want to make him a super hero outfit, cape and all). 

Problem is?  I have no sewing machine.  I have no expertise in sewing, especially not quilting, and I want to be the one to make it... by Christmas.

That gives me 3 or 4 months to learn how to quilt and do it successfully. 

Hmmm, what to do, what to do?

Here's my inspiration:  Homemade Ginger

No comments:

Post a Comment