Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2011

I Wouldn't Have Made it in Egypy


Ok.  So it isn't a locust, but it's close.  It's a Cicada.  a '13 Year Cicada' to be exact.  Also known as: really annoying.  And gross (in my opinion). 

The first I heard of these lousy creatures was on the news a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently scientists from all over the world have made their way to southern Illinois to document this 'phenomena' (as they called it.)  These cicadas have apparently been alive underground for 13 years.  During the 13th year, they basically burrow holes up from the one foot under they've been, leaving creepy .5 inch holes in their wake, and spend the next 4-6 weeks being very loud, mating, and laying eggs before they die.  What an existence. 

So after seeing this on the news (and being made aware that they were in 'our neck of the woods'), I was thankful that they weren't in our woods so to speak, but rather in a few nearby towns.  (I don't do bugs well anyway.)  So it would be an understatement to say that I was just slightly disappointed when we realized the horrid noise that we heard in the car (over driving 60 mph and The Letter Factory blaring in the backseat) on the way for our fun - filled weekend outside was these lousy insects.  With still a 30 minute drive to our destination, I was hopeful they wouldn't be where we were going. 

Boy was I wrong.  Quite to the contrary, within a couple blocks of my in-laws home we literally heard the swarming as we turned the corner, and the bugs were everywhere.  There were thousands of them.  Better yet, statistically there is supposed to be 1.1 million in every acre they occupy.  I don't know if you can do the math, but that's a lot of stinking bugs.  Really large, really loud (deafening even), really annoying bugs that aren't afraid to land on you, swarm you, and invade your 2 year olds basketball themed wading pool.  Ick!  Makes me squirm to think about them.

I couldn't even walk outside without being grossed out.  Tree bark literally crawled.  These bugs were dead all over sidewalks, porches, in the grass, on driveways, and they were swarming and crawling all over everything.  It would be an understatement to say that you could easily find a dead one, a dying one, and a swarming one all in about a foot proximity from one another. 

And let me tell you, the stench of thousands of dying bugs mixed with the stench of thousands of mating bugs that are laying eggs... not pleasant.  Not pleasant at all. 

So needless to say - my 'fun-filled weekend outside' quickly became a 'semi fun - filled weekend on a screened in porch' (hence the picture above that I took within the comfort of that screened in porch), with a 2 year old who said repeatedly (in a whiny voice), "Bugs.  Bugs.  Bugs," as he stood frozen, not even being able to walk without stepping on them. 

And to think the plagues were worse than this.  I couldn't have made it. 

And to think - my in-laws only have 2-4 weeks left of this...

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment