Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Home-Made Pancakes

I don't do many things home-made.  I'll admit it.  I've never used a cloth diaper for anything more than a spit rag.  I've never pickled my own cucumbers.  Rarely do I even bake cookies from scratch.  (Although I used to have one mean recipe for vanilla wafers... completely from scratch, and my dad still talks about them.  Hey, when you are a 6th grader and stuck home alone over the summer, you have to find something to do...) 

Anyway, case and point, I suck at home-made, not because I can't do it, but usually because I don't have the time. 

And if there is anything that budgeting has helped me do, it's doing some things homemade.  Tonight I tried a new one:  homemade pancakes. 

I'll be honest, I assumed you could make home-made pancakes (I mean, there was a time before Aunt Jemima), but I didn't think people actually did that anymore... until I started looking for recipes.  Holy moly there are a lot of homemade pancake recipes!  So I chose one with four stars, tweaked it just a little bit (mostly because it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing, bahaha), and what resulted was some darn good pancakes, if I do say so myself! 

Here's the tweaked version of my recipe:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tablespoon (plus just a smidge) of white sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

(sift these all together and make a well in the middle)

dump in the well:
3 tablespoons of melted butter
1 egg
1 1/4 cups milk
1 teaspoon (plus a smidge) of vanilla

mix together until basically smooth

cook on griddle or skillet warmed up to medium / high heat.

Yum, to rich and fluffy pancakes!  Also, while I was making pancakes I thought of all of the add ins we have in the house!  White chocolate chips, bananas, blackberries, strawberries, (would have had blueberries had Bryton not eaten them ALL this morning) cinnamon, raisins, and even nuts!  So many options!  So for tonight, I made a couple 'special' white chocolate chip / strawberry pancakes for Bryton and I (Aaron's a plain jane pancake eater).  Yuuuuuummmmy!  I want to make more just for more add ins!  I see peaches in pancakes being yummy! 

I see lots more pancakes in our future! 

-A

5 comments:

  1. did you guys eat banana pancakes when you were in hawaii? i love making them because of that. :) my first attempt was a failure because i made them with fresh bananas and it tasted weird, but brown bananas make perfect hawaii pancakes.

    i am a bad cooking rule follower. i have a large (4 cup maybe) measuring cup with a pouring spout and handle, and i throw all of my pancake ingredients in it (wet and dry together) and whisk it together. then it makes it super easy to pour onto the griddle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try these! Of all of the things I make that are homemade I thoroughly stink at: biscuits and pancakes. Travesty! I always add chocolate chips to mine, and top it with sliced strawberries and real maple syrup. SOooo good. My hubby prefers his plain, too. Must be an old man thing. ;) (No offense, I'm 8 years younger than my hubby, so I know you know where I'm coming from.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Yes - LeAnna - I know exactly where you are coming from :) And yours sound a lot like mine last night! Yum! I felt for sure you'd do your own pancakes!
    And Sarah - never had banana pancakes, but I had purple french toast because it had been soaked in guava juice! :) Best french toast... EVER! I'll have to try the bananas in the pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time you make them, you should double your batch, make the whole batch and freeze the extra. That way you will have a quick, cheap meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SMART SHEL! I had 3 leftover from last night that I stuck in the fridge and warmed for supper this morning! How do you warm them from the freezer? Sounds like a GREAT idea!

    ReplyDelete