Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Crock Pot Meals

Two days in a row, now, I've put meals in the crock pot for supper.

Can I begin to explain to you how much I love this concept, and am currently kicking myself in the rear that I've not done this more often before!  What is wrong with me? 

In 20 minutes I can throw all of supper in a crock pot, spend time with my husband as a family when he gets home from work, and scoop stuff out of the crock pot onto a plate for supper.  This is genius!  Why am I so behind the times?

So rather than go on and on and on about how wonderful this {ahem} not new invention is, I'll fill you in on what's for supper in our household this evening!

Crock Pot Italian Beef
[I have to preface this recipe with this... my mom makes the most wonderful amazing Italian Beef in all of this great green earth.  Yep, even better that your mom's... in my opinion anyway.  So this recipe doesn't even begin to touch how good her's is, but her recipe consists of 'a little bit of this', a 'pinch of that', a 'pour of that', and sometimes I use this particular thing and sometimes I don't.  You all know me, I'm type A... so I'm going to have to get very brave one day in order to try that... it's coming... I promise.  And when it does... I'll create the recipe (in my type a'edness) and post it here for the world to see.  Until then...]

Ingredients:
2 lb chuck roast
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 packet dry italian salad dressing mix
White vinegar

Literally, put the roast in the crock pot, mix the water with all of the dry ingredients, pour over roast.  I pour over a splash of white vinegar when it all gets started cooking.  Cook for 7-8 hours on low.  Shred beef, add another splash (or so - to your taste) of vinegar, and cook for another 30 minutes.  Serve on buns, with chips.  Voila! 

(My mom uses peppercini juice and no italian salad dressing mix... I gotta get off the mix and get to the real stuff!)

Ok - YOUR TURN - share with me your favorite crock pot meals so I can add to my recipe arsenal! 

-A

P.S.  Camera is coming today!  If God will's, this blog will have pictures on it tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how different everyone's Italian Beef recipes are! Mine is a throw together thing, but we love it. It is so flavorful. (Chuck or Rump Roast, water to almost cover, 2 packets Italian Dressing(ha!), 5 or so beef bouillon cubes, half jar of peppercinis, de-stemmed. Amazingly, it's not as salty as it may appear ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - mom's was oregano, peppercini juice, basil, some garlic powder, and lots of vinegar... it was strong... and awesome ;) so true... everyone's is so different!!!

    ReplyDelete