Pages

Friday, September 23, 2011

You Comfort Me

The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want...

He guides me and  He directs me, making my path straight.  Though I leave behind all in life I've ever known, the Shepherd knows the way for His sheep.  He knows the proper direction.  He knows, and loves, and protects.  Though the way of leaving has been stained with tears, I'll leave not wanting anything but the Shepherd's guiding.

He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside the still waters...

And He is my foundation.  Though the road seems sandy and rough and full of holes and debris, the Lord's will for me and desire for me is to see His calm that rests aside what I feel to be chaos.  His love transcends the depth of my stress and my fear. 

He restores my soul. 

Every tear wept, every grievance, every sob choked deep within me... being made new, whole, alive.  Every bit of sadness turned to dancing.  Healer and mender.  Lover, sustainer. 

He Leads me in the paths of righteousness, for His name's sake...

This path that you lead me on is your path, your will, your leading in righteousness for my life, not so I can make much of myself, but so you can be made much of.  This move, this change, this ginormous step is only for the glory of your name, for your renown.  

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...   

And a grandfather's tears feel like death.  When I took Bryton from him last night I  may as well have taken his heart with him, yanked it violently from the place it meant to rest.  But the Lord has promised good for us, for all of us...

For you are with me.  Your rod and your staff comfort me.

In Texas, in Illinois, in Africa, everywhere.  For where I am, you are there with me.  And you are my comfort, my protection, peace, hope...

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You annoint my head with oil;
My cup overflows. 

And thought it feels as if I've left everything behind... I know that I take everything with me.  Every blessing, every friendship, my family, my faith, and every good and perfect gift that you have arranged and ordained for me to enjoy and steward. 

Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all of the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

Whether my Earthly dwelling be in Illinois or Texas or any land or country around the world, forever I will dwell in the house of the Lord... in the presence of the King, with a King who loves and cares for me, my family, my parents... even in their grief... and loves us and knows and meets each one of our needs in an orchestrated and elaborate way.  

Thank you, Jesus for the opportunity to commune with the God of the universe in such a way as to bring peace, comfort, calm, love, hope, and faith to we who are so very unworthy. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment