Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

Okay Foodies...

So this sweet woman in our church stopped me on Sunday to tell me about Sprouts, a farmers market with cheap fruit (for those of you who know me, feeding my family well and for cheap is all good in my book).  I totally appreciate and enjoy the little tidbits of information that's going to help me settle in to an area much larger than where I came from.

Then, tonight she brought me over a reusable grocery bag full of fresh fruits and veggies from Sprouts!  There was some broccoli, a red pepper, strawberries, raisins, among other things.  BUT - also in the bag was two avocados.

Now - I'm all about trying new things, and I've had avocado, but have never prepared it myself.

I'm avocado illiterate, and I really want to use them... so give me the info I need to succeed at this!  From preparation (I peel it? I've heard you can roll it around on the counter to make the insides easy to scoop out?  True?) to recipes... fill me in!

2 comments:

  1. Avacado is one of my favorite foods. Make sure it's ripe--it should give a little if you squeeze it--it shouldn't be hard as a rock. Just take a knife and run in around the outside (the pit in the middle makes it impossible to just cut in half.) Pull the two pieces apart and scoop out the pit that's left on one side. Then you can scoop the good stuff out of each half. It's awesome on sandwiches or smashed up and eaten with tortilla chips. Yummy!

    Glad you guys are adjusting and settling in. Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Angie! And you know me! Will do!

    ReplyDelete