Well, I was reading through my Parenting Magazine the other night. They have a May calendar with a 'guilt free indulgence' on each day (for mom) for Mother's day. I thought to myself, "Hmmm, what a thought, something small to look forward to everyday?" And I decided to create my own 31 days and bring you along for the ride. Don't get me wrong, it's not that their ideas were bad, some were just not my thing and some were not quite frugal enough (or guilt-free enough) for this couponing queen.
This is going to be even more fun for me because I've made it a challenge. Aside from my mother's day gift from Aaron and Bryton (my day at the spa), I'm allowing myself only my 'blow' money to indulge myself each day for the month of May. This will make 30 days of indulging (because one day will be the spa day) for less than $50. Some things won't cost any money and some will cost a little.
So I've thought and thought and brainstormed and brainstormed, and here is what I've come up with... my 31 days of May (in no particular order because, of course, we need some spontaneity in life and have to work around the best sales and coupon bargains ;)
3. Treat myself to a warm bath, something I haven't done since BEFORE we went on the road.
4. Go to a movie. When and with who? I don't know. Maybe with Aaron. Maybe by myself. Maybe with a group of girls. But I want to do a movie.
8. I'm going to find some cardinal tickets. Cheap. Either through Stubhub or ebay, or friends, or maybe even being the first 550 to show up at a game. We'll see.
9. I want a convertible ride with my husband, with the top down, on a nice night. Whether that be in Du Quoin, Carbondale or St. Louis, doesn't matter to me, but I want it to be just the two of us.
10. A trip for 3 to the zoo please! Bryton's old enough that he's digging animals now. And when Bryton's digging anything I am digging life. So one of my indulgences is going to feed off the happiness of my offspring ;)
14. Game night. It used to be a simple pleasure that I took for granted. Now, it's hard for me to fathom getting a sitter to go somewhere else and play games, but it's also hard to fathom doing them here after Bryton is in bed because I worry about waking him up. One way or another, it's too much fun not to do it, so game night it is.
15. Video game night with the hubby. This one is expected, as Super Mario Galaxy 2 should be making it to our door soon. It was one of our favorite things to do in our dating life ;) Me beating him at Tiger Woods Golf on Playstation. Now it's me helping collect Star Bits on the Wii. The times they are a'changing ;)
16. We're going to ride the Amtrak. It may only be to Carbondale, but by golly, I've always wanted to do it and it sounds like fun.
17. I'm gonna write a book (like the grammar?) I don't think I say enough how much I LOVE writing. If I could do anything for the rest of forever I would blog and write books (and make money doing it). So, I'm going small scale here, and I'm going to write a children's book and maybe see if I can get a student to illustrate it for me. Maybe I'll even 'publish' some copies of it and try to sell them here in town. That'd be great fun! But for this particular day, just writing the book.
20. One piece of costume jewelry. This is something I don't buy hardly ever. But I want a staple piece that is CHEAP. (Cheap because I always say I'll wear it and then I never do.)
22. Homemade doughnuts. Okay, so they are kind of homemade, they are biscuit doughnuts. I can literally finish off a whole can by myself if someone would let me.
23. Naptime in mid-day. You know that whole 'sleep when the baby sleeps' thing. I've never done that and thought maybe now at the age of 18 months would be a great time to give it a try.
24. I'm going to get something free off of Craigslist. Who knows what, but it'll be fun looking ;)
25. I will forgo some kind of craft project for the basement. Maybe I'll find an old bench to paint or make some wall hangings. We'll see.
So there are my 31 things. We'll see how they turn out! What about you? What things would you do to indulge yourself for 31 days?