Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Change in Perspective

I love being a SAHM (Stay at Home Mom).  It's wonderfully rewarding.  I get to see my kids (under most circumstances) accomplish milestones, learn new things, and I get to contribute to their rearing. 

That being said - it is easy to fall into the mundane. 

Every day I wake up to a little 3 foot tall figure standing next to my saying, "I have a snack now?" 

I inevitably get up and get going on his breakfast, get him settled with a Mickey, and by the time I've got him settled it's Ans' turn to wake up.  And so the day goes on.  Most look much like every other, with a special thing sprinkled in here and there (because, let's face it, those take planning, and I don't have time to breathe most days, much less plan).  Tomorrow B gets to put up his first Christmas tree (of his very own, in his room) and decorate it, together with mom.  That's special, and by golly, I'm pumped.

But that's beside the point.

The point is this:  sometimes I feel like I'm going through the motions.  Same thing, different day.  What does this really matter, anyway?  Know what I mean?  I'm sure everyone in every profession feels that at some point in life. 

And God has began a work in me.

The work that I am doing with our kiddos is of eternal value.  It's not for here, it's for there.  Not for now, for later.  (And that goes for whatever job God has called you to!)

Another dirty diaper changed?  Eternal value.

Choosing to cut out paper turkeys with Bryton and make cards for grandparents (pics coming soon!).  Eternal.

Choosing to be calm when fit number 9,437 happens by 11 a.m.  It all points them to later. 

Every nose wiped (which we've done a lot of lately), every game played, every scripture taught (thanks to a dear blog friend, B has Psalm 19:14 down at this point), every cookie baked together.  That is eternal value. 

We all live different lives.  All on different journeys.  All experiencing different circumstances, yet our objective is always the same... whoever you are with, however you communicate it, in good and in bad, be glad in God and point others to Him. 

In this time of Thanksgiving, it seems an appropriate time to be so incredibly thankful for the eternal value that comes with being a wife, mother, and family planner extraordinaire.  I'll take that title any day!

-a

No comments:

Post a Comment