I am afraid of the dentist. No, really, I am. Growing up I had a stress induced migraine at every experience I had at the dentist's office. I'm not exaggerating. I can remember more than one occasion where the dentist had to rush to my room to check my teeth as I was getting nauseous from the pain. Really. I don't know if I was afraid of the pain of the inevitable filling, or if I felt like a failure because, regardless of my brushing and flossing I always had cavities. Always.
I have some friends who are hygienists, so you guys, these are for you ;)
- 1. Do you really prefer one kind of toothpaste over the other? Lots of commercials tell me you like theirs best.
- 2. Why do you always talk to me while your hands, both of them, are in my mouth?
- 3. Are my teeth... normal? Please tell me you've seen worse than mine!
- 4. Why do you insist on talking in 'dental' language? I'd love it if you'd just say, "Yeah, that there tooth looks like it has a hole in it. That's gonna be a doozy to fix."
- 5. Why, at the teeth cleaning appointment, do you tell me to cut back on the sweets because they are causing cavities, but then when I get the cavity filled you tell me to eat a milk shake? I'm confused.
- 6. What grosses you out most about your job? I mean really, how does plaque on teeth, bleeding gums and bodily fluids not completely gross you out?
- 7. What is one thing you'd love to tell people, but wouldn't be 'socially acceptable' to say? Come on, don't hold back. This is your chance.
- 8. It doesn't really make a difference if we brush our teeth relentlessly minutes before we come in to see you, does it?
- 9. Can I tell you if that bright light is in my eyes? Or better yet, maybe I'll wear my sunglasses. Maybe I'll be invisible that way.
- 10. Besides brushing and flossing after I eat everything ever, and getting regular teeth cleanings, what ELSE can I do to prevent my teeth from 'gettin' them there holes in 'em?'