Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Pick Up that Snake

So, I'm still trying to get through the Bible before baby number 2 is born (I hope to give Baby this Bible someday), but I've only made it to Exodus Chapter 4.  I've got a ways to go.
But I've been thinking a lot about Moses lately.  The guy has good lineage, good faithful lineage, but you and I both know that faith has to be one's own adventure.  So in Exodus 4 Moses and God are chatting, God is giving Moses direction and Moses is asking a lot of questions like, "What if they don't believe me?"
This is where it gets intriguing to me.  God tells Moses to throw down his staff.  Moses did, and it turned into a snake.  Moses jumps back, obviously.  Then God says, "Stretch out your hand and grab it by the tail," and Moses does!  Did you catch that?  God didn't say, "Stretch out your hand, grab it by the tail, and it'll become a staff again," (which still wouldn't be very easy for me to do), no, He simply told Moses to grab it, and He did.  That's rockstar faith right there. 
And I'm going to go ahead and tell you, I would have had some great hesitation, after seeing that trick, with putting my hand inside my cloak. 
Hebrews says that faith is the evidence of things not seen, and it looks to me like Moses had that idea down pat at this point.  We aren't shown that Moses hesitated any when asked to perform open ended instructions.  God never told Moses the outcome, He just gave Him directions and Moses obeyed. 
What would it take for you and I to do that? 
I don't know... faith? 
-a

No comments:

Post a Comment