Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

You Want to Know How Out of Shape I Am?

So tonight I went to run.  It's a little cold for my liking so I decided to go run the treadmill at the gym.  It's a good thing.  The ground keeps going under my feet which makes the lazy in me keep going. Especially when I accidentally did the wrong day on my C25K app.  You heard me... wrong day. 

What does that mean?  That means instead of running my 60 second / 90 second intervals, I was running 90 seconds and walking 120 seconds.  Okay, okay.  For any normal, physically able person, this should not have been any big feat.  And okay, so I only had one day left of week 1's running, but still, it had become familiar, easy, comfortable.  (Ok, it wasn't comfortable by a long shot, but it was a heck of a lot more comfortable than an extra 30 seconds here and there!  Yes, I suck, rather literally  - as in sucking air - at running.)

But you know what, I put one foot in front of the other enough times to complete that run, running every bit of the run time and walking at 3.5 for the walk time (this is a brisk walk, folks, brisk, I mean, considering I just birthed two children.  Be aware, I will use this excuse until my kids are grown.  I can hear me now, "Abs?  I don't have abs?  I just had a baby, oh what, it can't be any longer than 20 years ago!") 

Anyway - why do I share with you my humiliation?  My admitting that to literally run a half mile (in interval format) I was completely spent and pushing myself like mad?  My admitting that I ran on {gasp} a 5 on the treadmill... I know, I know.  My admitting that I almost decided to quit right there?  "Why?" you ask?

I'll tell you why.

Inspiration.

Friends, if I can do this... if I do accomplish this... there is not one excuse you can use.  Granted, I have all of my limbs and what not - but I won't doubt to see myself passed by a man minus a leg at the big 'race' this year.  Seriously, I'm that out of shape.  But you know what, I have my limbs, and if I ever lost them, I'd be mad I didn't run a half marathon when I was "good and able", so, I'm going to do this.

I'm going to do this.

I'm going to do this. 

Breathe. 

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment