Pages

Sunday, November 29, 2009

New Year's Resolutions

As I write today Bryton is fussing in his crib. Naps don't come easily to teething babies, so I apologize in advance if my thoughts seem somewhat scattered.
I've never been a New Year's Resolution maker. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of failure. Maybe it's because I'm too lazy. Maybe it's because I'm a traditionalist who doesn't like change. More than likely, I'd say it is because it just seems like another trivial thing we do. It's like buying presents at Christmas or trick or treating on Halloween. It's what we do on New Year's Eve while contemplating how to make the next year better than the one before.
But not this year. This year I'm mixing it all up and I'm having December resolutions. Yep, you heard me. I started noticing some areas in my life where I could offer improvement to myself, and I heard myself think, "That would make a great new year's resolution." Then, I thought to myself, "Why do we wait until New Year's to improve? Why don't we do it now?" Well, I think part of that answer is that we don't really want to change anyway. No wonder our resolutions fail so often.
So I decided it's time. It's time for me to take these broad, yet attainable goals that I've set for myself and start on them. So, for all of you who care, here is my December Resolution List:
1. Take more pictures with just me and my husband. We used to take a LOT of pictures together. I treasured them greatly. Since Bryton was born, though, it's just been easier for one of us to be on the other side of the camera so I have some pictures with B, Aaron has some pictures with B, and we have a lot of pictures of B, but we have very few of all three of us and even fewer of just Aaron and I. So this year it's more pictures of me and the hubs!
2. Read my Bible daily. I'll be honest. I expect to fail in this department. I'm not setting myself up to fail, but it seems unattainable. Sicknesses and life just happen and this goal can be hard to achieve. But I know this, I can read it more than what I am. I'm making a good 4 days a week or so, on normal weeks, so you wouldn't think it would be hard for me to step it up another 3 days. If there's been a resolution I've had several times, this has been the one. I'm going to give it all I've got this time, and we'll see where I end up.
3. I'm going to write daily. In honesty, that's what this blog was about. This was that resolution that went through my head. As you can see, I've already 'failed', if you can so call it that, as B had a very rough night on Friday night. My intentions were to blog after he went to bed, and let's just say that never officially happened. But, you know what? I've succeeded in writing several days worth of blogs that would have never made way had I not decided to do this. So, kudos to me. It doesn't have to be 100% to be a success.
4. I want to consistently be reading a book at all times. I used to LOVE to read! For Christmas one year my entire family on my dad's side bought me Waldenbooks (there was no Barnes and Noble) gift certificates. It was almost $300 worth of gift cards. I bought and read a LOT of books. (I spent all $300 in one trip, and had the books read in less than 3 months.) I'm not sure if life happened or the internet happened or what, but I've stopped reading. I'm not setting out to read every day, but consisently enough that I'm finishing and remembering what I'm reading within a reasonable amount of time.
So there it is. I'm not making a bunch of them because, well, who has time for that? But this is what I'm setting out to accomplish. I'll let you know at New Years how I'm doing ;)
Oh, and a picture to show I'm already making strides ;)
Us at Youth Specialties, downtown Atlanta Christmas tree in Centennial Park
Us in front of the fountains (which you can't see, grrr) in Centennial Park.
-A

No comments:

Post a Comment